Nauthólsvík Geothermal Beach
Is located just short walk away from the Capital-inn and entrance is free during the summer season until 15th of August.
The beach was constructed by importing golden sand and building seawalls to protect the lagoon, which is heated with warm excess water.
Ever dreamt of sunbathing in the midnight sun, on an island in the North Atlantic? Nauthólsvík Geothermal Beach is a paradise for people who love splashing around in the ocean or sunbathing in the golden sand. The beach is equipped with changing facilities and showers, steam-baths and hot tubs. Hot water is pumped into the man-made lagoon and the outcome is a refreshing swimming area averaging between 15°-19°C in summer.
Swimming in cold water is said to boost the immune system and have various health benefits. However, it can be dangerous for an untrained person. Here are some guidelines that we ask you to follow:
- Never swim alone. Always have a partner with you.
- Always watch your partner. Monitor their condition by speaking regularly.
- Don’t go too far from the coast.
- Don’t start swimming until you have started to breath normally and stay for small periods of time to begin with.
- Recognize the possible symptoms of hypothermia.
- Listen to your body.
- The beach is recommended by Capital-inn staff as a way to meet the local inhabitants and as a refreshing alternative to the many geothermal pools in Reykjavík.
In case of an emergency, dial 112.
The staff can not ensure the safety of guests while in the sea.